Should I repair and update my Galaxy Tab S 8.4s or buy a budget tablet like a Fire 8?

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019
So I have two Galaxy Tab S 8.4, both are in need of repairs. One very badly needs the charging port repaired, there's only one charging cable that works well with it, and it doesn't seem to like to charge from portable chargers (even with that cable) only from AC adapters. The other Tab S had it's screen broken years ago (was only used 6 months before my son dropped it and the LCD cracked despite the tablet being in a rugged case) which would a pretty costly repair. The repair price hasn't gone down at all over the years since the digitizer/screen combination is the most expensive component at about \~$200. Would it be worth repairing both of these and then installing Nougat on them?

I've looked at the Fire HD 8 and Fire HD 10, and I could get 2 10s for the cost of the repairs.. but the specs seem much less than the Tab S despite it being 5 years old now. Are the CPUs in the newer quad-core Fires more efficient/better than that of the octa-core Tab S? The Tab S also has 3 GB RAM, whereas the Fires have 1.5-2 GB.. and RAM is pretty important with how demanding a lot of apps are these days. Am I better off repairing or is newer hardware that much of an upgrade?

Galaxy S10

Jun 22, 2019
I think Lollipop is definitely way too dated. I would want at least marshmallow on it at this point, but I don't want to go through the hassle if I don't end up going through with the repairs.

The Galaxy Note

Jun 22, 2019
For example, search is handled by Bing. No Google apps (Play store, Gmail, etc) are available by design. The launcher is really not very good.

This is a really good point that I had not realized. I knew they had their on market and UI on there, but I did not know they stripped out everything google and worse used Bing for search. That's likely a deal breaker for me.

The hardware tends to be a couple of years old, so don't expect the most robust experience.

Yeah, comparing the specs I knew it was underpowered compared to the Galaxy Tab S, i just wasn't sure if it newer hardware made up for the difference in performance. Like when building a a desktop, an older flag ship CPU is barely better than a brand new mid tier CPU just because how efficient processors get every year. But it seems that isn't the case here as I believe you're alluding that the "new" tablets use older hardware, rather than newer redesigned budget tier hardware.. is that right?

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019
My primary motivation for this is because I do have two kids who are constantly fighting for use of the tablet that works. My daughter is younger, and she for the most part gets regulated to the Galaxy Tab 3 Lite Kids that I bought for my son when he was very young, which barely can handle youtube. I looked up the specs and am getting conflicting information, some places say it's a quad core 1.3, others say it's a dual core 1.2. It has 1 GB RAM. Overall it sounds like it's pretty similar spec wise to the Fire tablets.. combined with the above information that Google is stripped and Bing is the search.. I will likely go with the repairs.