Would anyone be interested in a setting that made the galaxy a bit more filled with already-FTL possessing empires?

Samsung Tab S

Apr 23, 2019
I always found it kind of unrealistic that nearly every empire in the galaxy discovered FTL travel in 2200, with the rare exception of space raiders and Fallen Empires. Sure, there are Advanced Empires, but they're ahead by 20 years at most.

I'm thinking something that made it so the galaxy was filled with already existing empires, that ranged from well-established empires with large fleets and established presences, to empires that only recently gained FTL, who are only just ahead of the player.

This would have the effect of making it a lot harder (imagine if you spawned right next to determined exterminators who had existed for over a hundred years), but it would be a lot like turning off the preset habitable planets. After all, it's not particularly likely that Alpha Centauri and Barnard's Star just conveniently have continental worlds ripe for habitat in their systems.

In a way I suppose it would make Stellaris kind of like a roguelike. Harder, and more dependent on your starting location, but potentially more rewarding and interesting a galaxy to play in.

So yeah, is this something that other people feel is missing from the game? Or is it just me.

The Galaxy Note

Jun 22, 2019
I usually play on very very low tech multiplier so that tech comes as a well earned prize - or so i thought. I thought, if there is one empire focused on tech, they will have to spend significantly less time on research (given it is so damn hard and long to just getone tech) then others and so they snowball. But what you say is the opposite of what i thought.

Elaborate.

Samsung Book

Jun 22, 2019
I tend to play with primitives maximised because I like the galaxy feeling alive. I would like maybe a mod that distributed primitives throughout the game, so the galaxy was constantly evolving, or perhaps even something that accelerated primitive uplifting even without player/AI intervention.

Samsung Tab S

Apr 23, 2019
I guess, although I think Expanded Traits and Civics (kind of) offers that, in that you can choose a civic that gives you primitive cybernetics/gene modding. This is less talking about the society itself though and more like the galactic map.

Samsung Galaxy S3

Jun 22, 2019
My headcannon is that every 200 years or so some sort of regular event happens, enabling non FTL empires to gain access to FTL tech

Samsung Tab S

Apr 23, 2019
first being the idea you start next to an advanced DE would be counter productive in making a more "real" universe. you would have been or should be within the years starting, toast.

Well not really. Do all primitives immediately become toast? No, some get ignored, some don't get colonised, some get uplifted, and some even managed to uplift themselves. In such a scenario presumably you would be one who uplifted themselves.